Be Nice Wednesdays


I decided because my blog is pretty boring and nooooo one ever comments on it, I thought that maybe I would add a fun and meaningful purpose to it, so besides all the things Im doing in my life I will also be posting every Wednesday about being NICE. 


When I started school back in August we received a book called "Be Nice (Or Else!)" Its written by Winn Claybaugh- founder and co-owner of Paul Mitchell The School, aka my hero. This book is all about the importance of being nice and how being nice can make you and those around you genuinely happy. I have been obsessed with this book from the very first page I read. Winn shares countless experiences and stories about being nice and how by making that change to be a nicer person can change your whole outlook on life and leave a lasting impression. 

Every Wednesday ill be posting some of my favorite experiences, stories, quotes or parts from the book- and hopefully as I challenge myself to be nicer, ill soon have some of my own to share. I hope that by adding Be Nice Wednesdays to my blog will not only get me more comments.. but inspire others to also take a stand and make that change to Be Nice, because I promise it will not only make you happier and make a difference in your life like it has mine but it will also make others happy. 

A Person Who's Nice to You but Mean to a Waitress Is Not a Nice Person:

As humor writer Dave Barry wrote in his book Dave Barry Turns 50, "A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person." As you consider this "being nice" thing, Im sure you'd agree that being nice could definitely give a person the upper hand. However, there are some people who know who to be nice to in order to get what they want but forgo the practice in the other situations. Being nice is about inclusiveness, not exclusiveness. You cant pick and choose to whom you are nice. 

Have you ever had this experience? You meet someone new who you think is a really nice person. He or she may even display the charm and niceness for months. Then one night the two of you are out to dinner, in the middle of a lovely conversation, when the waitress makes a mistake and your date lets her have it. Suddenly, the nice guy you thought was the Gandhi of "take home to Mom" boyfriends become the Freddy Krueger date-from-hell. Or the Mother Teresa " this could be the one" girlfriend changes into Mommy Dearest nightmare. What used to be beautiful, endearing, and cute about the person suddenly becomes ugly, embarrassing and done.

You see this all the time, don't you? It even comes up on television, where it may be slightly exaggerated but not far from the truth. In an episode of the TV show Friends, Rachel was dating a guy she believed to be a really nice person. While on a double date with her friend Ross, Rachel slipped out to the ladies room with Ross's date, and Ross witnessed Rachel's date screaming and belittling two people for sitting in the wrong theater seats. The rest of the episode had Ross trying to entrap Rachel's new boyfriend into losing his cool and displaying that mean, nasty side of him. 

-Winn Claybaugh
Be Nice (Or Else!) Pg:2-3
 





8 comments:

heather said...

I like this idea. We can all try to be nicer. I know that I am guilty of getting impatient with strangers (waitresses) and agree that niceness should be unconditional and given to all. I look forward to How-to-be-hotter-Wednesdays (aka Be Nice Wednesdays BNW). You rock and our family loves you! Now come home!

theolsonfamily said...

I am ALWAYS nice to you!!!

winnclaybaugh said...

Thank you so much for your very kind words about my book. You made my day and warmed my heart. But the most important thing for me was the fact that you are spreading the word and teaching others about this BE NICE easier way of life. I am very honored, to say the least!
XOXO, Winn Claybaugh

winnclaybaugh said...

Winn Claybaugh
Dean & Cofounder of Paul Mitchell Schools
www.paulmitchelltheschool.com
Author of BE NICE (OR ELSE!)
www.beniceorelse.com
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter!

Julie said...

This book sounds awesome. It's a good gift idea too. Thanks for sharing and being so nice! :)

Pohlmans said...

Glad you found me! I will keep tabs on you, it is great to hear all about your adventures!

Robyn Palmer said...

I am going to officially stop being such a blogging slacker!

I love you and your be nice post. I loved seeing you tonight!

marnie said...

Sophie, I will try to be nicer and leave you more comments. Hurry up and finish school - my hair needs you!