what makes a person happy?


i have been pondering this question for the past week
you see people who you think should be happy-
they have everything (or so it seems)
but yet they are lacking in the being grateful department of life
& just aren't happy
i didn't get it
i know people fall down in life
& things happen that don't seem fair
we complain or hold a grudge
every single person is guilty of doing this
i know i am
we are all given different & unique trails in our lives to overcome
but that's just the key word- overcome
its about overcoming those obstacles & getting back up when we fall
being grateful for our life & everything that has happened
good or bad
its those experiences that make us who we are
we should take those trials with open arms & run with them
show everyone else that you can do it
you can overcome it & you wont let it bring you down
being thankful for the things you do have & not what you don't
i haven't always thought this way-
but now i do

a while back my dad lost his job
my family's whole world was turned upside down
everything changed
i thought it was the most horrible thing that had ever happened to me
i was stupid
& i was ungrateful
it was extremely hard at first
it felt like everything we used to know was being taken away from us
i felt robbed
& i was angry
but as time went on- it got easier & easier
my family had a change of heart
& i had a change of heart
we grew closer as a family
spent more time together
had family home evening
read the scriptures together
prayed together
& somehow we made it through even better than before
somehow all our needs were met
all our worries seemed to go away
we were blessed- to say the least

i am so grateful to have had this experience
& even though my dad has finally found a new job
i know each and everyone of us has taken & learned so much this trial
it has made every single person in my family become a better person
a little more grateful
a little more kind
a little more loving
a little bit stronger
& a lot more appreciative for the blessings in our lives
we were happy before
but we are all happier now
its funny how that happens
going through something so hard- made us happier
im so proud of my younger siblings and the people they are growing up to be
but mostly im proud of my parents
for staying strong for all of us-
because we needed their example
for helping us know the true importance of life
& for helping us grow closer to the gospel

so while i was at church today still pondering the question
what makes a person happy?
i was thinking of the little things- lots of things that can make a person happy
but the real answer i was looking for sort of hit me as i looked down the bench at every single one of my family's faces
having the gospel in your life- is what makes a person happy
thats the answer i was looking for
it was the answer to my prayers
i honestly believe that a person cannot be truly happy without it in their life
without it i don't think my family would have come this far
we wouldn't have been as blessed

i am so thankful to my heavenly father
for everything he has given me
for my family & for the blessings we have
for being sealed in the temple for all time & eternity
for prayer- knowing that someone is always there to listen
for my trials
i am a better because of them
& for the atonement
the gospel strengthens my heart
& restores my soul
it brings me happiness & joy each & everyday

i changed as a person
& im happy to say that
im a little bit better than i was before
i am still learning & growing
but im proud of who i am
& where i am going in life

i am happy

"however mean your life is
meet it & live it
it looks poorest when you are richest
love your life- poor as it is"
-henry david thoreau


8 comments:

Cailey & Brady said...

You're amazing... you know that right? So is your cute family! Love you all. I could not agree more by the way! Thanks for helping me remember, we are so blessed!

mackenzie said...

I love this. Your amazing soph. Xoxo

Robyn Palmer said...

I just love you. So true. Someone in my ward bore their testimony on this today. The gospel gives us so much to be happy about.

I love your family picture! Grey and yellow is my fav!

Lauren Parker said...

soph i am a happier person because you are my friend.
this post made me cry.
i hope you know how happy i am to know such an amazing person like you :)

heather said...

This post made me cry too. Your parents are incredible and we've commented to them before how amazed we've been by their positive attitude. I know their peace and calmness through this trial had a huge impact on you and all of your siblings. Trials do change us. For the better. I am not the same person I was before Morgan was born, luckily. She changed me for the good. Living the gospel really is the only way to find true happiness. Thanks for the reminder!

Chelsea Oldroyd said...

Soso, I love you and I'm grateful for the example you are to me. I know the gospel is the only way to make someone truly happy and I'm thankful for you and your positive spirit. ily...Thanks for reminding us to be better.

Angie said...

I love reading your blog because you are always so inspiring. I often do not get to hear this side of you around the family. I am grateful to hear how you have become stronger through this trial. Love you lots.

Madi Bringhurst said...

I read this months ago, and wanted to say I cried? well of course I'm reading it again when I need to hear it more than ever! Thank you for being such an inspiration to me soph!