Read this.. seriously


At school one of our main focuses is being daymakers. Our name tags simply say our name and number followed by DAYMAKER. We not only have the opportunity to beautify them, but we also have the chance to touch their lives and make their day, and thats one of the reasons I love what I do. 

David Wager started this daymaking movement in the beauty industry the day he saved the life of one of his clients by simply making her day.

1988- I was working in the salon when one of my clients, who normally came in every five weeks like clockwork for a haircut, came into to have her hair styled for the evening. This was odd, since I had never seen her for a style in between appointments. I figured that she must have an important social engagement that evening. When she arrived, I inquired if that was indeed the case. She said, "No, I just really want to look and feel good today." So I gave her a great scalp massage and shampooed and styled her hair. During our thirty minutes together, we joked and laughed and had a great time. When I finished, she hugged me and smiled a great smile as we said goodbye. 
It was a few days later that Daymaking pierced my soul. I received a letter from this same woman, who was in the hospital. She explained that she had come in to have her hair styled because she was planning to commit suicide and wanted to look good for her funeral. She shared with me that she had such a great time during our appointment that she left the salon, went home, called her sister and asked her to take her to the hospital to get some help. She wanted to live. She went on to thank me just for being there and caring, without having any idea what she was going through. 
I often think how easy it would have been for me to have been pre-occupied that day and taken that appointment for granted, to not be there. It could have produced dramatically different results in both our lives. I thank her for the gift she gave me in that letter and that experience. It has truly shaped my life's work and me.
Now you can see the difference we can make in others' lives, whether it is something as profound as this or as simple as smiling at a stranger.
- David Wagner
Life as a Daymaker
Pg: 12

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone tried a little harder to make someone else's day? I know that when I feel like I've made someone else's day, it in return makes my own. Its like killing two birds with one stone. 

I absolutely loved this book and would recommend that everyone should read it. 

2 comments:

Julie said...

What a great message! I think it is a great way to go about your day...trying to make someone else's. Thanks for sharing this Soph!

Cailey & Brady said...

Loved this! can i borrow this book and the ellen thing?? please pretty please?? thanks for sharing! we never know what people are going through day to day its always important to give everyone the benefit of the doubt!